Monday, November 26, 2012

End of Semester Stress and Excitement

The end of the semester is looming now. It's the last week of classes and we're finishing up final projects and presentations. I'm noticing a fine balance between stress and excitement. No, not excitement because of winter break (although that is always welcome), but excitement from future plans and projects starting to take shape and come together.

Of course, the stress from the end of the semester is normal and almost welcome--it means a little bit of closure on some projects. Therefore, I'll call this "what is wrapping up."

What is wrapping up:

  • The Campus Writing & Speaking Program held it's last brown bag event this afternoon. We wrapped up a semester of events focusing on language diversity in the classroom. We'll continue working on the Web site and a few smaller projects until the end of the semester.
  • My research for visual content analysis is starting to take a firmer shape. We presented before Thanksgiving and will continue working in class this week on the projects. My project is analyzing visual representations of pregnancy in entertainment, pregnancy, and medical Web sites. 
  • Our CRD 704 (Technologies and Pedagogies in Communication) class is presenting project proposals tomorrow night so I'm still trying to finish up that presentation. 
Excitement for the future:
  • My committee is starting to come together. Led by Dr. Andy Binder, I have added Dr. Melissa Johnson Dr. Kami Kosenko, and Dr. Kelly Albada. I still have one more committee member to go, but am very happy about the progress and excited about the direction it's taking! These professors each have something unique to bring to the table and I am honored to be working with them.
  • Speaking of Dr. Kelly Albada...she and I just had a paper accepted to the Southern States Communication Association conference in Louisville and it is receiving a top paper award in the Mass Communication division! 
  • I have plans over break to polish up some papers and hopefully start sending them out. 
  • I finally figured out my courses for next semester. It's my last semester of coursework and I didn't take that lightly. I'm looking forward to our last required course, Issues in Communication, Rhetoric & Digital Media, as well as Qualitative Research Methods, and Health & Media. 
  • I am also looking forward to taking on the role of Vice President for our student association next semester. 
It's been a productive semester. And in the spirit of Thanksgiving--I'm so grateful for the work I've been able to do, the professors I've been able to work with, and my wonderful cohort! 

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the top paper award! That's great news. (As well as all of your other great progress this semester, of course!)

    ReplyDelete